Despite being unable to vote, youth will become engaged with issues when they are invited to have a voice.
Delvinia developed a crowdsourcing program called “Quest for the Best Markham” to support the promotion of the City’s Green Print community sustainability plan and the companion website. This contest-driven program called for ideas on ways to improve Markham, and shared information with the Green Print program.
The program rolled out in three stages.
- Pre-launch: a grassroots outreach to youth networks through schools.
- Contest website: promotion included YouTube video and a Facebook push. The site encouraged repeat visits through a photo contest with weekly prizes.
- Winner announcement: winners were announced at a public event.
The contest entry period ran for less than two months. The goal was to achieve a 5% participation rate of Markham’s youth within the target age group with approximately 750 entries.
Here’s what happened:
- 3,000 entries were gathered
- 24 Markham schools participated
- Many insights acquired to benchmark subsequent programs.